2015 DBS policy

SUL English language lessons on an English language holiday course in Chalfont near London

All offers of work are subject to satisfactory references which may be checked by telephone and all SUL staff will be required to sign a child safeguarding declaration in front of peers at the start of any SUL course.

The duties placed upon SUL Language Schools and upon you as an employee are as follows:

  • SUL Language Schools must not knowingly engage a barred person* on our courses.
  • It is likewise an offence for a barred person to apply for work on our courses.
  • SUL Language Schools must make referrals to the DBS – e.g. if they have cause to believe that an employee has caused harm or has the potential to cause harm, and/or have dismissed an employee for such an offence. In other words, if we dismiss you in a circumstance that we believe that harm could have been caused to children, we WILL inform the DBS.

If you have a clean enhanced DBS disclosure dated within 2 years of the course start date then this can be used for your work with SUL.  You will need to provide your original certificate to your Course Director or Local Organiser for verification prior to the course start date.

If you do not have a current DBS disclosure, however, you will need to apply for one in order to work for us.  SUL uses an external organisation to carry out disclosures and, as the DBS is a portable check, SUL will only reimburse up to half the cost of the disclosure as detailed below.

The following will let you know what you need to do in order to get a DBS check.  If you still have questions, please contact Claire (for Teachers) or Steph (for Host Families) on 01726 814227.

* People on the barred lists can’t do certain types of work.  Please see: www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/dbs-barred-lists

How much does the DBS cost?

As the DBS do not allow you to request a criminal records check on yourself, you must apply for a DBS through an employer.  Those wishing to apply through SUL must pay upfront for their DBS disclosures.   Please email the Accounts Department at accounts@sul-schools.com  to request our bank account details.  You will be required to include your surname in the bank reference so we can identify your payment and once payment has been received, you will be sent a DBS and Verify form to complete.

The total cost of a DBS form is £59 which consists of one application form (£44) and one Verify form to check identity (£15).  The DBS application form, regardless of how many you use, will cost £44 only.  However, the Verify form costs £15 each time one is requested.  This means that avoiding mistakes on the Verify form is extremely important as if you require a new one, you will have to pay an extra £15.  

As a DBS is portable and can be used for other schools or companies, SUL have agreed to reimburse half the cost of the DBS process provided the teacher or host family completes three courses for SUL by the end of Summer 2015. 

In order to receive partial reimbursement, you must put in a claim to SUL Accounts detailing which courses you completed.  At the end of August 2015, SUL will reimburse you with £10 per session completed up to half the cost of the DBS procedure (£30 only).

How to complete your DBS paperwork

The DBS are very strict on the completion of their forms.  As they are read by a computer they must be written in black ink, in CAPITALS and completely within the boxes.  You will have to fill out a new form if you fail to do this!

What if I make a mistake?

If you make a mistake on the DBS application form and you have room (ie more boxes to write in such as in the boxes for ‘surname’) you can put a line through (ONE line – no scribbles!) and write next to it.  If there aren’t any more boxes (ie with a box requesting a date) you will need to complete a new form. 

Please Note:  Tippex is not allowed anywhere on the form!!

Some common mistakes/problems on the DBS application form

  • Boxes:You must cross (X) the boxes, not tick the boxes.
  • Not completing everything that’s required:Everything in yellow is mandatory to be filled out and instructions followed (ie question 20 asks if you have a national insurance number.  If you say ‘yes’ you must complete 21 with your national insurance number)
  • Question 3: Forename(s):  This is your first name and your middle name(s)!
  • Date boxes:  These are usually very faint on the application form so please be careful.  The majority of date boxes only require month and year (MM/YYYY) to be written so September 2004 would be written 092004.  The exceptions to this are questions 14 and 57(‘date of birth’ and ‘date of signature’) where you are required to write day/month/year (DD/MM/YYYY) so if your ‘date of signature’ is 3rd March 2014 you would need to write 03032014.
  • Address information:  You must provide details ofall places you have lived in the last five years as well as dates.  There must be no gaps in your dates.  If you have lived in the same place for five years then you only need to write the one address in B and leave C blank.
  • Nationality (Question 26):  This must match what is written on your passport e.g British not English.
  • Run out of space: If you have more addresses or previous surnames than the application form allows for, you can print a continuation sheet from www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-continuation-sheet
  • Making up information:Sometimes, people can’t recall their passport number, for example, and will make one up instead of finding their passport.  This is very serious as you must declare that the information you are giving is correct and falsifying your information may be considered a criminal offence
  • Signing the form in the wrong place:  You are only required to sign E ‘declaration by the applicant’.  Please do not sign anywhere where it asks for the signature of a ‘registered’ person – this is Ron!

Please also complete a few questions on the back page:

  • Question 61 line 1 (which should read: CHILD WORKFORCE)
  • Question 61 line 2 (Here you should write your job title so: EFL TEACHER, COURSE DIRECTOR or HOST FAMILY, for example)
  • Question 62 (which should read: SUL Language Schools)
  • Question 63 (you need to put a clear ’X’ in the box marked ‘enhanced’)
  • Question 66 (YES box to be marked with an 'X' ONLY for host family and immersion applications - NOTfor teachers)
  • Question 68 (you need to put a clear ‘X’ in the box marked ‘No’)

What do I do once I have completed my DBS form?

Once you have completed your DBS form, you will need to get your IDchecked.  As SUL use an external organisation based in Luton, proving your identity can be done in one of two ways:

1)      Sending your original documents directly to Ron Staker by Special Delivery who will return them after checking your identity.  You will need to pay for the Special Delivery yourself.

2)      Completing a Verify form and getting it signed by one of the following:  Solicitor, Barrister, Magistrate, Judge, Police Officer or Head Teacher.  Noone else has the authority to do this for you and if you use someone not listed here, your Verify form will be void.  Please note: the Head Teacher MUST be a Head of a school, NOT a head of department. 

It is very important to note that the Verify forms cost £15 each.  If you make a mistake on it or lose it you will need to pay for a replacement form.

However, if you live close to Head Office (near St Austell in Cornwall) we can also check your identity here.  Please contact the office to make an appointment to complete your DBS form with us here.

Once your Verify form has been completed, please send both forms (the DBS and the Verify form) to Ron Staker in Luton at: School Support, 8 Onslow Road, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU4 9AJ.

Ron will then be in touch to confirm he has received your formsand that there are no mistakes. He will post them to the DBS office for them to be processed which usually takes about four weeks.  When you receive your Disclosure, please call the office to let us know your Disclosure Number (which you can find at the top right of your form) and the date it was issued.  Head Office will need to see that your form is clean and enhanced so you must show either your Course Director or Local Organiser the original.  

Although you can start work for SUL with your DBS form still pending please be aware of the extra measures we have in place as detailed in our Child Protection Policy which you should have received.  If you haven’t received this, please contact Steph (for Host Families) or Claire (for Teaching staff).

You can check the progress of your application using the tracking service through the DBS website. For this, you will need your application form reference number (which starts F01).

The Update Service

Although this is not necessary to sign up to (and SUL don’t pay for it) it may be useful for you to consider signing up to the Update Service in order for you to keep your DBS up to date to be used with future employers and to avoid having to pay for another form upfront again. 

It is important to note, however, that you only have 19 days from the date the form is received by the DBS to sign up for this service.  This can be done with the form reference number (top right hand side of the application form beginning with the letter ‘F’) as soon as your completed form has been received by the DBS.

The Update Service will cost you £13 per year but it’s definitely worth it if you are expecting to continue working for SUL or another company where a disclosure is required.  You can sign on to the update service here:  https://secure.crbonline.gov.uk/crsc/apply?execution=e1s1.

Due to credit card banking problems, we recommend that you do NOT pay this £13 fee by credit card.


For your notes, Ron Staker's address is: School Support, 8 Onslow Road, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU4 9AJ.